June is an extra special time for us here at Freutcake! Leah and I both have birthdays (!!!!) and I know lots of you are celebrating your own June birthdays, too! Oh hey, summer sisters!
Let’s kick off our special month with a ridiculously delicious hybrid dessert that joins two of Leah’s favorite treats: Funfetti cake and lemon bars. Prepare yourself folks, you’re about to meet the Funfetti-Crust Lemon Bars of your dreams!
How the heck does that even work, you may wonder. Well with a few tweaks, you can turn cake mix into a delicious shortbread-like crust. All you need: butter and eggs! Top that with the easiest ever lemon custard and you’re all set.
The thing I love most about these bars is how the tart lemon topping cuts through the buttery sweetness of the birthday cake crust. I suggest serving ’em as tiny squares and topping each piece with whipped cream and rainbow sprinkles…otherwise how would you know there’s Funfetti goodness underneath!
photos & recipe by Erin Phraner
- 1 box Funfetti cake mix
- 1 stick butter, melted and cooled
- 6 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Juice of 2 lemons
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line a 8 or 9-inch square baking pan with foil and lightly coat with cooking spray.
- Stir together the cake mix, butter and 2 eggs in a large bowl until smooth. Pour into the prepared pan. Bake 20 minutes or until puffed and golden. Remove from the oven and quickly press down the crust using an offset spatula or large spoon—pack it down!
- Meanwhile, whisk the sugar and flour in a bowl until combined. Whisk in the lemon juice and the remaining 4 eggs. Carefully pour the lemon mixture over the crust and bake 30 minutes or until almost set (it will set as it cools). Transfer to a wire rack and cool completely. Lift out using the foil and cut into squares.