Enjoy a delicious, elegant meal without ever turning on your stove (or stovetop for that matter)! No I’m not tempting you with some swanky microwave meal—though I make a mean microwave Spaghetti Squash. Today I’m sharing a delicious no-cook blender dinner: Spring Pea Soup with Goat Cheese!
True peas are a fab spring farmers market find but you’ll never actually catch me pealing the real deal. No fresh peas for me-s! Who’s got time for that?! Frozen peas are my FAVES! One of those magic convenience ingredients that actually tastes just as good as the real thing.
For this soup, I don’t even thaw the peas. Instead, I heat up chicken broth in the microwave and just let the frosty peas and hot broth chill out for a few minutes before I blend ’em—the peas thaw in seconds!
I love this recipe because it is totally safe, scrumptious and customizable for my health conscious and allergy afflicted friends. Vegetarian? Use vegetable broth! Vegan? Skip the goat cheese. I added croutons (cuz I love them) but if you’re gluten free, you can add roasted salted almonds for crunch instead. Allergic to nuts, well you get the idea…
photos by Erin Phraner
- 10 ounces frozen peas
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups hot chicken or vegetable broth (depending on desired consistency)
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 scallions, white and light green parts only
- Crumbled goat cheese
- PANTRY STAPLE: Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- Put the peas, broth, garlic and a big pinch each salt and pepper in a blender and let sit for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, thinly slice 1 green onion and cut the other into 1-inch chunks; put the chunks in the blender with the other ingredients.
- Blend soup on high until very smooth. Refrigerate 30 minutes to serve cold or enjoy at room temperature—you can also heat up in the microwave! Your choice.
- Top with goat cheese and sliced scallions. Add croutons or salted roasted almonds for crunch if desired. Eat the soup. Be awesome.