While most of the United States is breaking out the light weight sweaters and enjoying the crispness that comes with the approach of Fall, us Southern Californians are cranking up the AC and making popsicles. Yes, after a week of 103 degree days, my brain can barely cope with anything that’s not ice cold and preferably frozen.
Mother Nature is either playing a mean, mean trick on us or having her last blazing hot summer hurrah! Either way, I’ve decided to go on heat wave strike and make Banana Split Popsicles. Those of you who are also on the West Coast…you are welcome.
I’m sort of ashamed to call this a “recipe” but considering it takes assembly and freezing time, I’ll take the liberties. Stay cool friends and enjoy a popsicle or two! I promise, these babies will go faster than you can say “ice cream sundae.”
photos by Leah Bergman
- 2 cups vanilla ice cream, melted
- chocolate fudge
- 10-maraschino cherries
- 1/2 cup salted peanuts, chopped
- 2 bananas, cut into 2" slices
- 10 popsicle sticks
- Maraschino Cherry, one per popsicle.
- vanilla ice cream
- thin layer of fudge (too much and popsicles will be difficult to remove)
- chopped nuts
- slice of banana
- Insert a popsicle stick through the banana and freeze until firm.
- Run under cool water before removing from mold. Serve immediately.