A good portion of my childhood was spent as a vegetarian. At the time all it meant was sneaking junk food from the school vending machine and sharing my friends fruit snacks. Oh, how I adored fruit snacks…Gushers anyone? As an adult it means I am 100% happy with a vegetarian meal a few times a week. I could honestly do without meat, but I’m pretty sure Jason would go on strike so I compromise. One of my favorite ways to serve up a hearty vegetarian dinner, that won’t leave Jason starving, is with meals like these Veggie Bowls with Cilantro Tahini dressing…
A hearty bowl filled with brown rice, roasted sweet potato, sauteed cremini mushrooms, zucchini and chickpeas. It’s so hearty and filling you won’t even miss the meat! The seasonings are simple: garlic and cumin, salt and pepper and of course a savory cilantro tahini sauce to drizzle on top. That sauce you guys…it’s a-mazing. Luckily it makes a whole lot so you can keep a jar of leftover sauce in the fridge for dipping pita chips or veggies in.
I call these Falafel Bowls because the combination of flavors, the chickpeas, the tahini, all together taste so much like a deconstructed falafel without all of the fried greasiness. Yum! Of course you could serve this dish with a warm pita on the side. Are you hungry yet? Give this dinner recipe a try and let me know what you think! Do you have any favorite meatless meals?
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 large sweet potato
- 8 oz cremini mushrooms, quartered
- 1 large zucchini, cubed
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup Tahini
- ½-3/4 cup water
- 2 garlic cloves, divided
- handful cilantro
- 1 lemon, juiced
- sea salt & seasoned salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Cut the sweet potatoes into small cubes and spread out on a rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with 1 Tablespoon olive oil and season with 1 teaspoon cumin, seasoned salt and pepper. Roast 30 minutes or until fork tender.
- Make the herb Tahini: In a blender or food processor combine the Tahini, water, garlic, cilantro and lemon juice. Process until smooth and well combined. Note: Start with ½ cup and add up to ¾ cup until thin enough to drizzle.
- In a large sautée pan heat 1 Tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat. Add in mushrooms, zucchini, and 1 minced garlic clove. Sautée about 5 minutes until veggies were tender. Add in chickpeas, 1 teaspoon cumin, salt and pepper to taste. Cook just until chickpeas are warmed through.
- To assemble the bowl, place the rice in serving bowls. Top with sweet potatoes and sauteed veggies. Drizzle with cilantro tahini and garnish with fresh parsley.
- Serve immediately.