Jason: “Want to come with me to Vegas this weekend for my trade show?” Me: “What would I do in Vegas, I’m pregnant for goodness sakes?!” Jason: “You can drink virgin piña coladas by the pool.” Oh, you know me so well…
It’s a well know fact in my family that I love nothing in the entire world more than laying pool side and sipping on a good piña colada. In fact, it’s pretty much the highlight of any vacation when that first frosty colada arrives at my lounge chair just as the sun gets a little too hot for comfort.
The beauty of the classic piña colada is that it’s one of the only cocktails in history that tastes just as good virgin as it does boozy! Strawberry daiquiris are a close second but they just cant beat coconut + pineapple frozen goodness with a cherry on top.
And while I won’t be dragging my ever growing belly and swollen feet to Vegas this weekend, I will be blending up a (second) batch of virgin piña coladas and basking in the coolness of our AC. Oh, and in case you haven’t heard, today is National Piña Colada Day, as if you need another reason to make this recipe! So, what are your weekend plans? Aside from sipping on one of these of course!
- 2 ounces white rum
- 1 ounce coconut cream
- 1 ounce heavy cream
- 6 ounces fresh pineapple juice
- ½ cup crushed ice
- Garnishes: pineapple wedge and maraschino cherry
- Combine the rum, coconut cream, heavy cream and pineapple juice in a blender. Add the ice and blend for about 15 seconds or until smooth.
- Pour into a 12-ounce glass. Garnish with a fresh pineapple wedge and a maraschino cherry.
- Fresh pineapple juice and good quality cream of coconut make the best pina coladas! I make mine with Langer's fresh pineapple juice and Coco Real cream of coconut.