It’s Friday and I’m jumping for joy right now after an especially long week. My poor baby girl has been pulling on her right ear and while it’s (thankfully) not an ear infection, it does mean that she is in pain from teething. Which of course explains all of the drooling, fussing, and sleepless nights we’ve been having. Oh, that and the 4-month sleep regression thing…but that’s another story. Insert my “Treat Yourself” Orange Mocha now. Because after an especially rough and sleepless night you might just need caffeine, chocolate, and lots of it!
Back in the pre-baby days, I used to frequent this cute local coffee shop that whipped up the tastiest coffee concoctions. One of my favorites was a mocha they finished with orange zest, cinnamon and white chocolate. It was to diiiiieee for. It was like sipping on wintry heaven. So, naturally this is my easy at-home version inspired by that tasty treat.
I’ve left out the white chocolate because honestly I don’t always have it in my pantry but you could always sub the dark chocolate for white if you have it! Oh, and make the whole batch of the hot chocolate. You can heat up individual portions just as you need it. So, what is your favorite at home coffee drink? Are you a fancy coffee drinker or do you prefer yours straight up? Maybe, just maybe give my mocha a try this weekend!
- 4 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1/4 cup unsweetened natural cocoa powder
- 2 ounces chopped dark chocolate or white chocolate (or chips)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- strongly brewed coffee or espresso
- orange zest
- mini marshmallows
- cinnamon sticks for garnish (optional)
- Bring milk and cinnamon sticks to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to a simmer and whisk in cocoa, chocolate and sugar. Whisk and cook about 2 minutes or until steaming hot and well combined.
- Add desired amount of coffee or espresso to mugs and top with hot chocolate.
- Garnish with mini marshmallows, freshly grated orange zest and a cinnamon stock for garnish.
photos by Leah Bergman