Is it just me or has this week flown by? Tomorrow we leave for Hong Kong, a trip that quite honestly I am feeling completely unprepared for. Let’s just say, I haven’t even packed! (Oy vey.) But in other news, I finished a couple of exciting new projects this week, painting my dining room (more on that later), and managed to make a fun cocktail that I’m sharing over on Style Me Pretty Living today, so I don’t feel like a complete failure.
Yes, this Asian Pear & Ginger Sparkler is my ode to China and all of the amazing food I plan to eat this next week. If you haven’t tried Asian Pear you simply must! It’s crisp and sweet with a subtle pear flavor and best eaten ice cold. Sort of the like a crisp green apple and a pear were combined to make one perfect fruit. Of course you could always substitute a nice ripe Bosc pear in it’s place if you can’t find Asian Pears in your grocery store or Asian market.
Have a great weekend, friends! The next time I post it will be from China. Cheer, Leah
photos by Leah Bergman for Style Me Pretty Living
- 4 oz. Vodka or Pear flavored vodka
- 1 oz. Fresh lemon juice
- 1 Asian Pear, chopped and cored plus slices for garnish
- Ginger ale, to top
- Ginger Syrup (recipe follows)
- mint for garnish
- ¼ cup sliced, peeled ginger
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- In a small sauce pan combine sliced ginger, sugar, and water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature. Strain out ginger and discard, reserving syrup in an airtight container until you are ready to use.
- Divide 1/2 chopped pear between two glasses and add the rest to a cocktail shaker. Muddle well with vodka, lemon juice and ginger syrup allowing pear to release it's flavors.
- Fill with ice and shake until well chilled.
- Strain into prepared glasses, top with Ginger ale and garnish with a slice of pear and a sprig of mint. Serve.