Enchiladas with Pumpkin Sauce
Marrying into a family of talented Mexican-American cooks, It was pretty much determined that I would always be one-upped in the Mexican cuisine department. Not that I mind of course, I leave all of the delicious cheesy and authentic recipes to my Grandmother-in-law. So when Jason asked me to make enchiladas for dinner one night, I sort of shuttered and then remember a recipe for Enchiladas with Pumpkin Sauce I had stumbled upon. These enchiladas were just unique enough not to be compared to Nanie’s a-mazing red chili version and now have become one of Jason’s very favorite dishes to eat.
Illustration by Ann Shen
These chicken enchilada with spicy pumpkin sauce are in a league all their own. Have you ever tried adding pumpkin to your enchilada sauce?
Enchiladas with Pumpkin Sauce- Everyday Food: Great Food Fast
1/2 roast or rotisserie chicken, skin removed, meat shredded
6 scallions, thinly sliced
Coarse salt and ground pepper
1 can (15 ounces) pumpkin puree
4 cloves garlic, peeled
1 jalapeno chile, quartered (remove ribs and seeds for less heat, if desired)
1 teaspoon chili powder
8 corn tortillas (6-inch)
1 1/2 cups grated sharp white cheddar cheese (6 ounces)
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a medium bowl, combine chicken and scallions. Season generously with salt and pepper; set aside.
2. In a blender, puree pumpkin, garlic, jalapeno, chili powder, 2 1/2 cups water, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper until smooth (hold top firmly as blender will be quite full). Pour 1 cup of sauce in the bottom of an 8-inch square (or other shallow 2-quart) baking dish.
3. Lay tortillas on work surface; mound chicken mixture on half of each tortilla, dividing evenly. Roll up tortillas; place, seam side down, in baking dish.
4. Pour remaining sauce on top; sprinkle with cheese. Place dish on a baking sheet; bake until cheese is golden and sauce is bubbling, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes before serving.
Latest posts by Leah Bergman (see all)
- Cranberry White Chocolate Muffins + Printable Recipe Cards - December 3, 2013
- Trim the Tree with Four Homemade Garlands - December 2, 2013
- Browned Butter Sage Crostini - November 27, 2013