Spiced Pear and Cranberry Sauce is an easy variation on classic homemade cranberry sauce with chunks of sweet pear and plenty of cinnamon.
Cranberry Sauce is a must have on the Thanksgiving table. In fact gimme a giant scoop of the sweet and tangy stuff right next to my turkey so that I can scoop it all up on one bite. It's easy to make and a great make-ahead that can be kept in a large glass mason jar until you are ready to serve it for the big meal.
To a pot add cranberries, peeled and diced pear, cinnamon, brown sugar, orange zest, vanilla and water. Bring it all to a lovely bubble and let it reduce. Pretty simple and oh, so good.
The cranberry sauce is ready when the cranberries have all burst and the sauce has thickened into a beautiful jam-y relish. Use tongs to remove the cinnamon sticks and orange zest, or leave them in until you are ready to serve for extra flavor!
- 1 (12 oz) bags of fresh cranberries
- 1 cup diced pear, peeled
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 2 wide strips orange peel
- 1 ½ cups water
- pinch of salt
- 2 cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Wash and drain cranberries.
- In a medium saucepan, combine all ingredients.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high. Reduce to a simmer and cook until thickened, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from heat and cool. Remove orange peels and cinnamon sticks.
- Refrigerate in a large mason jar until well chilled and ready to serve.