I don’t know about you but I LOVE the combination of sweet and salty. I mean, salted caramel anyone? So when Snappers® sent me a HUGE box of their new holiday flavors of chocolate and caramel covered pretzel clusters and asked me to use them to make a fun holiday recipe I was like…score! Let’s just say I broke into that first package of Snappers® and never looked back. New favorite snack ever.
I started off by digging into the Dark Chocolate Caramel Fudge Snappers® (for inspiration of course) followed by the Dark Chocolate Peppermint Snappers® and knew I wanted to make a peppermint bark. If pumpkin spice is the flavor of fall, then chocolate peppermint is definitely the flavor of winter and these crunchy and chewy bites were sure to make the perfect addition to my recipe for classic peppermint bark.
The resulting creation is what I’m now calling the Ultimate Peppermint Bark!
I started with layers of really good dark and white chocolate melted and spread thin, sprinkled with chopped up chunks of Dark Chocolate Peppermint Snappers® and topped with crushed candy canes and red sanding sugar for a festive flare. It’s like a Christmas party explosion in one crunchy, chewy, creamy and pepperminty bite.
Plus you can whip up a batch of this bark in no time without any baking so it makes a great last-minute dessert or easy giftable treat.
Break the peppermint bark into pieces and fill Christmas mugs. Your friends will seriously love you if they get a mug filled with this bark. That is if there is any left, this stuff goes quick I tell you!
- 12 ounces dark chocolate chips
- 12 ounces white chocolate chips
- 3 ounces (1/2 bag) Dark Chocolate Peppermint Snappers®, chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 3-4 candy canes, crushed
- red sanding sugar, optional
- Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or foil and set aside.
- Put dark chocolate chips into a heat proof bowl and set over a pot of simmering water on low heat. Make sure the pot isn't touching the water. Stir chips with a wooden spoon or heat proof spatula. The heat from the steam should start to melt the chocolate slowly. Don't rush this step, if the heat is too high the chocolate will sieze up.
- When chocolate is completely melted remove bowl and wipe off any water from bottom of the bowl. Immediately spread out onto prepared baking sheet in a thin layer.
- Place in refrigerator to harden about 30 minutes.
- Repeat with white chocolate. When melted remove from heat, wipe bowl and stir in 3/4 teaspoon peppermint extract. Immediately spread over hardened dark chocolate layer.
- Sprinkle with chopped Dark Chocolate Peppermint Snappers®, crushed candy canes, and red sanding sugar for color.
- Set aside at room temperature until firm, about 1 hour. Lift the bark and remove from foil or baking mat and break it into pieces.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks.
- This recipe makes about 2 pounds of bark.
NOW FOR A GIVEAWAY!
Thanks to Snappers®, I am giving away a box of their holiday flavors to three lucky readers so that you too can become totally addicted to these treats. Er, I mean so that you can make this bark recipe or have fun crafting up a fun holiday treat of your own!
THIS GIVEAWAY IS NOW CLOSED. Congratulations to Janelle, Annie & Natalie! Please check your email for further info.
Disclosure: This post was sponsored by Snappers® Snacks however the recipe and all opinions expressed here are my own. Thank you for supporting the sponsors who make Freutcake tasty! Snappers® can be found at Target or the following locations.
photos by Leah Bergman