Cold weather calls for the warmest of cocktails and I one of my favorites is a Christmas Old Fashioned. Hints of orange, cinnamon, dark cherry and of course Bourbon.
Christmas Old Fashioned Recipe
I love sipping on a good Old Fashioned, especially in the colder months! We make a delicious chocolate old fashioned in October and this is my favorite version for the holidays. It starts with my Old Fashioned Mix which I steep with lots of cinnamon, fresh oranges, muddled cherries and orange bitters.
The best part of the mix is, it makes enough to keep one jar for yourself and gift one to a friend who loves cocktails too! I highly recommend it.
Christmas Old Fashioned Ingredients
- Old Fashioned Mixer - you can get the recipe here.
- Bourbon - we like Woodford Reserve and Bulleit however you can use any bourbon you like best!
- Cinnamon Stick - for garnish and a stir stick.
- Orange Slice - to add aroma and a pretty garnish.
- Cherry - Amarena or a dark maraschino cherry for garnish.
How to Make an Old Fashioned
- Ice - start by freezing large ice cubes. We like but this mold because it makes round ice that melts very slowly and is perfect for this cocktail.
2. Mix - add 1 ounce Old Fashioned Mixer over ice cube.
3. Bourbon - add 2 ounces Bourbon and give the mix a good stir until the mixture is all chilled.
3. Garnish - finish with a slice of orange, a cherry and a stick of cinnamon.
When you make a classic Old Fashioned you start with sugar, bitters, and water followed by bourbon. This homemade mix makes stirring up cocktails fast and easy anytime! The addition of extra cinnamon and orange bitters gives the cocktail a holiday twist!
What to Serve with Old Fashioneds
If you are planning a holiday get together, this is a great drink to serve! Making the mix ahead of time makes serving multiple drinks fast. Here are a few of my favorite appetizers to serve with this cocktail.
- Fig and Honey Baked Brie
- Pear, Prosciutto and Blue Cheese Puff Pastry
- Christmas Cheese Board
- Brown Sugar Bacon Little Smokies
- Crab Stuffed Mushrooms
More Bourbon Recipes to Make
- Bourbon Maple Apple Cider
- Old Fashioned Bourbon Balls
- Spiced Pear Bourbon Cocktail
- Mini Bourbon Chocolate Pecan Pies
- Bourbon Brown Sugar Cake
I hope you enjoy making and sipping on this classic cocktail! It really does warm you from the inside out and is the perfect sip for sitting tree side. Cheers!
- 1 oz Christmas Old Fashioned Mix
- 2 oz Bourbon
- orange slice
- cinnamon stick
- In a cocktail glass, place a large ice cube.
- Pour 1 oz old fashioned mix over the ice.
- Top with 2 oz Bourbon and stir well to chill.
- Garnish with a slice of orange, cherry and cinnamon stick.
This site uses affiliate links in which I may earn a small percentage from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 212Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 1mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 1gSugar: 5gProtein: 0g