I am willing to bet money that tucked away in the back of your refrigerator is a three quarters full, and questionably old, jar of maraschino cherries. Ah, maraschinos...it's really quite incredible how these sugary sweet and violently red little cherries stand the test of time. I for one happen to love them; made of the same magical stuff as unicorns and glitter if you ask me!
Anyway, back to that jar in your fridge. I have the perfect recipe to use up those cherries: my Great Grandmother's Cherry Nut Bread. This loaf is a deliciously moist cherry and vanilla cake, beautifully pink and studded with walnuts and cherries. If this recipe doesn't scream Valentine's Day than I don't know what does!
So, pretty please with a cherry on top, make a loaf of Cherry Nut Bread this Valentine's Day. I promise you it's just as delicious as it is beautiful.
photos by Freutcake
Cherry Nut Bread- adapted from my Great Grandma's recipe
makes- 1 loaf
2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
½ tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
½ cup unsalted butter (room temperature)
¾ cup maraschino cherries- halved
¾ cup walnuts - chopped
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
½ cup whole milk
¼ cup maraschino cherry juice
½ cup sour cream
1. Grease and line a standard 9" loaf pan with parchment paper and nonstick spray.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment; cream butter and sugar.
3. Add eggs, vanilla, and sour cream beating until combined. Scrape down sides.
4. In a seperate bowl, whisk together flour, salt and baking powder.
5. In a liquid measuring cup combine milk and cherry juice.
6. With mixer on low slowly add flour mixture and milk mixture alternating in multiple batches starting and ending with flour. Mix until just combined.
7. Stir in cherries and nuts with a spatula making sure to evenly mix through batter.
8. Scrape batter into prepared pan and bake at 350 degrees for 60 minutes or until lightly golden and a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
9. Cool for 10 minutes in pan before removing to cool completely on a cooling rack.