If you’re a kale chip lover, this recipe is for you. If you are a barbecue lover, this recipe is for you. Heck, even if you don’t particularly like kale chips, this still might be the recipe for you because they really are good. Crispy Barbecue Kale Chips that are loaded with spices and so satisfying when you have a crispy snack craving.
First, let’s talk about kale chips for a moment because not all are created equally. I’ve purchased (on more than one occasion) kale chips that turned out to be overpriced and almost inedible. What is the deal with store bought kale chips?! Has anyone ever found a brand they like? But honestly, why even buy them when you can make them so easily at home?
No soggy leaves or burnt edges, just perfect crispy chips with plenty of barbecue flavor brought on by a simple and delicious mix of seasonings. To start, wash your kale, remove the stems and tear into pieces. The chips will shrink a lot while baking so don’t worry if the pieces are on the larger side. Once your kale is torn nicely, allow the kale to dry completely on paper towels or a clean dish towel.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spread out the kale making sure it has room and is not piled up. It’s better to split the kale between two sheet pans if necessary to keep it all in a single layer. This will keep the kale from getting soggy. Drizzle with olive oil and using your hands, massage the kale making sure that each leaf is well coated.
Next, mix your spice rub and sprinkle the kale generously with barbecue spice mix. You can’t add too much! Give the kale another rub with your hands to distribute the spices and then sprinkle again if you want a super flavorful chip.
Next, bake until crispy, turning once and let cool slightly on the pan. This is the moment when you try your hardest not to eat the entire batch straight off of the sheet pan. Trust me, it takes some self control.
Serve immediately in a big bowl for snacking or (once cooled completely) store in a large glass mason jar. They will stay crispy in your pantry for a few days…if they last that long! Happy, healthy snacking!
- 1 bunch kale
- olive oil
- Barbecue Spice Rub:
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tsp garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- small shake of seasoned salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 300F. Line two large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Wash the kale, remove the stems, and tear into pieces.
- Allow the kale to dry completely on paper towels or a clean dish towel.
- Spread out the dried kale on the baking sheets making sure it has room and is not piled up. Drizzle with olive oil and using your hands, massage the kale making sure that each leaf is well coated.
- In a small bowl, mix smoked paprika, cumin, garlic, chili powder, salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle the kale generously with barbecue spice mix and give the kale another rub with your hands to distribute the spices. Note: You will have a lot of extra seasoning! Keep it in a small jar for your next batch of kale chips.
- Bake for 10 minutes, give the pans a good shake and rotate. Return to the oven and bake another 15 minutes.
- Allow chips to cool on the pan for about 3 minutes.
- Store in a glass mason jar once completely cooled.