Today, a few of my fellow blogger friends and I are are celebrating this first (beautiful) day of May with two of my favorite things, Tacos and Margaritas! Whether you are celebrating Cinco de Mayo this week or simply looking for some delicious and fun summer inspiration, we’ve got you covered. Make sure to read down to the bottom of the post where I’ll be linking to all of my friend’s recipes…I’m definitely seeing a coconut trend! But first, my Tilapia Fish Tacos with Coconut Avocado Crema.
This past weekend was beautiful, warm and sunny, it really felt like summer here in Los Angeles. We made Fish Tacos and black beans for dinner Saturday night and played outside long past bath time, enjoying the warm breeze and early evening sun.
Tilapia fish tacos with slaw are one of my go-to warm weather recipes. They are quick to make, fresh and light, and always super tasty. You can dress them up in so many different ways but for today’s post, I made a quick slaw with a bag of store bought shredded cabbage and a dressing of coconut cream and lime juice. I buy the organic cans of coconut creme from Trader Joe’s and it’s perfect for this recipe. Toss in sliced green onions for a little flavor and season with salt and pepper.
The crema is simple and delicious! One ripe avocado blended with coconut cream and lime juice, then seasoned to taste with salt and pepper. It’s so rich and creamy, you won’t even miss sour cream. Plus it tastes like a coconut met a bowl of guacamole and you can’t be mad at that!
As for the fish, you can prepare it two ways. If you like a bit of crisp on the outside, season and pan-sear your fish in coconut oil. It only takes a few minutes on each side to be cooked through and the texture is divine. Or, if you (like me) wish to take the easy way out, bake it! Line a baking sheet with parchment and arrange your seasoned tilapia fillets on top. Bake at 400 degrees for about 10 minutes and your fish will be perfectly cooked without any flipping or fussing.
Mmm…time to char up a bunch of corn tortillas and assemble! So, now all that’s left is to decide which margarita to make! My friends are sharing a bunch of mouth watering recipes below so make sure you check out each and every one. I’m dying to try them all.
Courtney, Pizzazzerie // Coconut Grapefruit Margaritas
Michael, Inspired by Charm // Strawberry Coconut Margaritas
Jen, The Effortless Chic // Build Your Own Taco Board
Julie Blanner // Margarita Float
Ashley, Sugar and Cloth // Skinny Jalapeno Margaritas
Keep on scrolling down for the recipe to my Fish Tacos with Coconut Crema and happy May!
- 4 tilapia fillets
- 1 can coconut cream
- 1 ripe avocado
- 3 limes, plus more for serving
- 1 9oz bag shredded cabbage and carrots
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 8 corn tortillas
- seasoned salt (for the fish)
- coconut or olive oil
- 1/2 cup torn cilantro
- kosher salt
- black pepper
- Prepare the slaw:
- In a large bowl mix together 1/2 cup coconut cream and the juice of two lime. Toss in the bag of shredded cabbage, sliced scallions and minced jalapeno. Toss slaw to mix and coat with the dressing. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Prepare the crema:
- In a small food processor, combine 1 avocado, 1/2 cup coconut cream and the juice of 1 lime. Blend until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Bake the fish:
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Rinse tilapia under cool water and pat dry with paper towels. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle both sides with seasoned salt and pepper. Bake for 10 minutes or until fish is cooked through and white in the center. Remove from oven and assemble your tacos.
- Char corn tortillas quickly over an open flame to heat. Add fish, slaw and a drizzle of crema to each tortilla. Serve with cilantro and lime.