When a vicious craving for peanut butter hits, as it did for me last week, there is only one option…Browned Butter Brownies with creamy Peanut Butter Frosting. These rich, fudgy, and nutty brownies were gone in no time flat! Want to really indulge? Serve one of these brownies with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. You can thank my husband the ice cream nut for that little tip. The result was dangerously good.
Browned Butter Brownies with Peanut Butter Frosting
For the Brownies- this is my favorite brownie recipe
Nonstick vegetable oil spray
10 Tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 1/4 cups sugar
3/4 cup natural unsweetened cocoa powder (spooned into cup to measure, then leveled)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs, chilled
1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon unbleached all purpose flour
1. Position rack in bottom third of oven; preheat to 325°F.
2. Line 8x8x2-inch metal baking pan with foil, pressing foil firmly against pan sides and leaving 2-inch overhang. Coat foil with nonstick spray.
3. Melt butter in medium saucepan over medium heat. Continue cooking until butter stops foaming and browned bits form at bottom of pan, stirring often, about 5 minutes.
4. Remove from heat; immediately add sugar, cocoa, 2 teaspoons water, vanilla, and 1/4 teaspoon (generous) salt. Stir to blend.
5. Let cool 5 minutes (mixture will still be hot).
6. Add eggs to hot mixture 1 at a time, beating vigorously to blend after each addition. When mixture looks thick and shiny, add flour and stir until blended. Beat vigorously 60 strokes. Transfer batter to prepared pan.
7. Bake brownies until toothpick inserted into center comes out almost clean (with a few moist crumbs attached), about 25 minutes. Cool in pan on rack.
8. Let cool completely and make frosting.
For the Frosting
6 Tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter at room temp
¾ cup smooth peanut butter (I used Trader Joe’s Salted Peanut Butter)
1 cup powdered sugar
1. In an electric mixer with the paddle attachment, cream the butter until light and fluffy.
2. Add peanut butter and mix until combined.
3. Slowly add the powdered sugar and salt with mixer on low and blend until combined.
4. Whip on high for 30 seconds.
5. Frost cooled brownies, cut and serve.
Tip: Frost brownies in the pan. Then, using foil overhang, lift brownies from pan. Cut into 4 strips. Cut each strip crosswise into 4 brownies, making sure to wipe down knife between each cut.