Finding a hand sanitizer that is free of chemicals but still strong and effective is hard to do. Why not make your own? Homemade Lavender Hand Sanitizer to the rescue!
Homemade Lavender Hand Sanitizer
Today I’m share a recipe for Homemade Lavender Hand Sanitizer because it’s all natural, easy to make, and essential in any nursery. The base is pure aloe vera gel and the active ingredients are tea tree oil and witch hazel all of which you can purchase online or pick up at most health food stores.
The ingredients are a bit of an investment but you can use your essential oils and the vitamin-e again and again. The lavender essential oil is my favorite part because I am a total lavender lover both in my recipes and in my nursery, evidently.
The lavender essential oil’s main job in this recipe is to make the whole mixture (and your hands) smell nice. Mission complete!
Yes, the twin’s nursery is one pretty smelly place to be, in a good way that is! Now back to my hand sanitizer recipe, here’s how I make it:
- 5-10 drops lavender essential oil
- 30 drops pure tea tree essential oil
- 1 Tablespoon witch hazel extract
- 8 ounces 100% pure aloe vera gel
- ¼ teaspoon Vitamin E oil – a natural preservative to increase shelf life and soften hands
- Bottle with a pump
- small funnel
- small bowl for mixing
- spoon and spatula
- In a glass bowl add aloe vera gel. Mix in lavender oil tea
tree oil witch hazel and vitamin E oil. Mix until well combined.
- Using a small funnel, transfer to a pump container. Shake gently before use. Sanitizer should last several months with the addition of Vitamin E to help preserve.
Tea Tree oil is very strong and definitely an acquired scent but is very effective in this hand sanitizer. Oh, and of course while I love lavender, this essential oil is totally optional in the above recipe. Enjoy!