The best thing about the New Year is the fresh start it brings! This year I feel a strong sense of motivation to get my body, mind, and spirit back on track for 2015. So, I'm sloughing off old winter skin today (metaphorically and physically) and sharing four of my favorite homemade body scrubs. Why not start the new year with a fresh glow...and a fresh outlook? I promise, a little bit of homemade pampering does a body good.
Lemon Coconut Body Scrub
makes about 8oz
1 cup granulated sugar
⅓ cup coconut oil
5-6 drops lemon essential oil
zest of one lemon
1. In a medium sized bowl, mix sugar and coconut oil with a wooden spoon. You can adjust the texture of the scrub to your preference by adding more oil or sugar as desired.
2. Mix in essential oil and zest. Spoon into a clean jar with a lid.
Note: Scrub should keep for two weeks.
Geranium Body Scrub
1 cup Pink Himalayan Salt (Extra-Fine Grain)
½ cup Organic Coconut Oil
10-20 drops Geranium Essential Oil
small jar for storage
1. In a bowl combine sea salt and coconut oil, mix to combine.
2. Add in 10-20 drops Geranium Essential Oil, stir to incorporate.
3. Spoon into a small jar with a tight fitting lid.
Green Tea Sugar Body Scrub
1 cup granulated white sugar
⅓-1/2 cup organic coconut oil
1 Tbs green tea (loose leaf or from tea bags)
1 tsp matcha green tea powder – available at most health food stores
1. In a bowl combine all ingredients and mix until well blended with a wooden spoon. You may want to add more coconut oil based on your own personal preference. I found that ⅓-1/2 cup of oil was perfect and very moisturing.
2. Store in a glass jar or air-tight container.
Pumpkin-Sugar Body Scrub
1 cup course raw sugar or salt
½ cup pure organic pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
1 tsp honey
1 Tbsp sweet almond oil
1. Mix sugar, pumpkin, honey and almond oil together in a small bowl until well combined. Add more or less sugar and oil based on personal preferences.
2. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to use.