A classic whiskey sour is one of the easiest cocktails to make at home and is deliciously tart and refreshing drink to make all year round. Bourbon, fresh lemon juice, simple syrup and an egg white are all you need to achieve bar magic at home.
When it comes to the flavors of this classic bourbon whiskey cocktail, it's all about the balance of simple ingredients. Fresh squeezed lemon juice is a must as is good bourbon, homemade simple syrup, and egg white.
The egg white adds a creamy flavor and frothy texture to the drink that cuts some of the tartness of the lemon. The silky smooth finish that the egg white brings to this cocktail is heavenly.
If you are apposed to using egg white, I share substitutions later in the post however.
Whiskey Sour Ingredients
- Bourbon - I really enjoy Woodford Reserve for this drink and for most of my bourbon cocktails such as my Old Fashioned, but use whatever bourbon you like.
- Lemon Juice - Freshly squeezed lemon juice is necessary for this. Jarred juice won't cut it.
- Simple Syrup - Store Bought or homemade both work.
- Egg White - one raw egg white to add a creamy, frothy texture.
How to Make a Whiskey Sour
- In a cocktail shaker combine Bourbon, lemon juice, simple syrup and egg white.
- Dry shake (which means without ice) for about 30 seconds to get a good froth.
- Add ice and shake to chill.
- Strain into serving glass and garnish with a cherry.
Whiskey Sour without Egg
While it's traditional and delicious to make a whiskey sour with an egg white, some recipes will leave it out all together. It does change the flavor and consistency of the drink to remove the egg white but it's up to personal preference.
If you would still like to try a whiskey sour with the foam, you can use 1 Tablespoon of Aquafaba in place of the egg white. Aquafaba is the liquid found inside of a can of garbanzo beans! It makes a great vegan substitute for any cocktail that calls for egg white and it foams up nicely.
Whether you make your Whiskey Sours with or without egg white, you can't go wrong with this classic drink. Cheers!
More Bourbon-Whiskey Cocktails
- Irish Mojito
- Vanilla Bean Old Fashioned
- Spiced Pear & Bourbon Cocktail
- Christmas Old Fashioned
- Bourbon Maple Apple Cider
- 2 oz Bourbon
- ¾ oz Lemon Juice, freshly squeezed
- ¾ oz Simple Syrup
- ½ oz egg white, optional (not a full egg white)
- maraschino, for garnish
- In a cocktail shaker add bourbon, lemon juice, simple syrup and egg white and "dry shake" (without ice) for about 30 seconds to foam the egg and combine.
- Add ice to the shaker and shake again to chill.
- Strain into a cocktail coupe and garnish with a cherry.
You can use 1 Tablespoon of Aquafaba in place of the egg white. Aquafaba is the liquid found inside of a can of garbanzo beans! It makes a great vegan substitute for any cocktail that calls for egg white and it foams up nicely. Or leave the egg out entirely.