Greek Lemon Chicken with Feta Cheese is packed with simple and delicious Mediterranean flavors you and your family will love. Oh, and did I mention it’s EASY?
Greek Lemon Chicken with Feta Cheese
There is a dish I make all the time and share pretty frequently on Instagram…it’s Chicken with Sun Dried Tomatoes and Feta. It’s similar to this recipe here on the blog but I basically just pile the sun dried tomatoes and feta up on top of the chicken because I don’t really have time for anything fancier than that these days. This Greek Lemon Chicken with Feta Cheese was inspired by that. A simple weeknight chicken dish I can make fast but that will be packed with flavor.
Easy Weeknight Chicken Recipe
Easy weeknight chicken recipes that aren’t completely bland and boring are difficult to find. This recipe really brings the flavors and can easily be paired with a Greek Salad, orzo pasta or even mashed potatoes to round out the meal. Either way it makes delicious dinner and next day lunch leftovers.
I start by doing a quick marinade on the chicken. Honestly, this step isn’t necessary but if you have an additional 20-30 minutes it helps really impart flavor to a rather bland meat and tenderizes the chicken. I toss all of the ingredients (aside from the feta) in a large mixing bowl and pop it in the fridge. If you your family is partial to chicken thighs, use those! If they like a mix of chicken pieces, that’s fine too. Work with what’s on sale, what you’ve already got in your freezer or what looks good in the grocery store. You’ll just want to adjust your cooking temp accordingly.
Once the chicken is nice and marinated, or not, place it in a baking dish large enough to hold all of your chicken uncrowded in a single layer. The smell of fresh garlic, lemon juice, lemon zest and fresh oregano is going to knock your socks off. This is where the fun feta part comes in to play. Yes, you are going to pile those lemony, garlicky chicken breasts high with feta cheese my friends and I promise it will be what makes this dish sing.
In my recipe I call for one cup of crumbled feta cheese but you could use more or less. I wouldn’t personally recommend less but that’s just my love for baked cheese talking. Cover with foil and bake away. This is where your own judgement comes into play because based on the size of your chicken, this might need to cook anywhere from 30-45 minutes or until the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165. Just make sure you remove the foil to let the cheese brown up for the last 15-20 minutes because that’s when the magic happens. Happy cooking!
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 Tablespoon lemon zest
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- salt & pepper
- In a large mixing bowl combine chicken breasts, lemon zest, lemon juice, olive oil, minced garlic, and chopped oregano. Season with salt and pepper (I used about 1-2 teaspoons kosher salt and a good amount of fresh ground pepper.)
- Mix well to coat all of the chicken and let sit in the fridge to marinate for 30 minutes if you have the time! If not, no problem the chicken will still taste amazing without marinating time.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and set aside a baking dish large enough to fit four chicken breasts.
- Place marinated chicken in baking dish pouring marinate on top.
- Top chicken with crumbled feta cheese piling it up on top of the chicken breasts.
- Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 15 minutes to brown up the feta cheese and finish cooking the chicken.
- The cooking time will depend on the size of your chicken breasts but you will want to reach an internal temperature of 165 and remove foil for the last 15 minutes of cooking time.