A flavorful grilled chicken recipe is always a good and versatile recipe to have on hand! I marinate my chicken in olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and a either fresh herbs or if I don’t have those on hand, herb vitality oils. Grill and you have perfectly flavorful chicken.
Grilled Herb Marinated Chicken
I love this recipe for so many reasons. The marinade is quick and easy to make, it can be customized a million ways based on the herbs you have on hand, it only needs 30 minutes to marinate (although you can leave it up to 2 hours for more flavor,) and it the result is deliciously flavorful chicken that is versatile for any dish or meal! This chicken is great served sliced over a salad like my Arugula & Peach Salad or on it’s own for a barbecue served with potato salad and grilled veggies.
Simple Chicken Marinade Ingredients
- Olive Oil – I use extra virgin olive oil for all of my cooking.
- Balsamic Vinegar – this adds flavor and tenderizes the chicken as well.
- Garlic – fresh minced garlic cloves will give the best flavor for this marinade! You can add more or less to taste.
- Salt & Pepper – gotta have it.
- Herbs – you can use fresh, dried or Young Living Vitality oils for this and I will give you all the variations and measurements in the recipe card.
How Long Do You Marinate Chicken?
For this marinade recipe, you only need 30 minutes to get delicious chicken however leaving it for longer will result in even more flavor! If you have the time, a full 2 hours of marinating will result in the most flavor possible from this recipe. Pour the marinade over the chicken, toss until well coated, cover and refrigerate until ready to grill.
Substitutions for Herbs and Oils
- Parsley – 2 tablespoons chopped Italian flat leaf parsley or 3 drops Young Living Parsley vitality oil.
- Thyme – 2 teaspoons chopped fresh Thyme or 2 drops Young Living Thyme vitality oil.
- Oregano or Mountain Savory – 2 teaspoons chopped fresh Oregano or 2 drops Young Living Mountain Savory vitality oil.
Note: this marinade is very versatile and you can customize it with any fresh herbs you have on hand! Rosemary would also be delicious and very flavorful in this recipe.
Time to Get Grilling!
Once your chicken if properly marinated, it’s time to heat the barbecue and get grilling. We use a small Weber grill with hard wood charcoal but a gas grill or even a grill pan on the stove top will also work. Grill for about 10 minutes per side until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees and you have good grill marks and a nice char.
More Chicken Recipes to Love
- Classic Chicken and Sausage Gumbo
- Big Batch Chicken Noodle Soup
- Greek Lemon Chicken with Feta
- Chicken and Dumplings
- Sticky Baked Asian Chicken Thighs
I hope you are inspired to turn your weeknight chicken into something special with this flavorful and easy marinade! If you make it, I’d love to hear how it turns out in the comments section below. Happy Grilling!
- 2 pounds (about 8) chicken thighs
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped Italian flat leaf parsley or 3 drops Young Living Parsley vitality oil.
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh Thyme or 2 drops Young Living Thyme vitality oil.
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh Oregano or 2 drops Young Living Mountain Savory vitality oil.
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- In a liquid measuring cup measure out oil and vinegar.
- Add minced garlic, fresh herbs or vitality oils, salt and pepper. Whisk to combine.
- In a large mixing bowl add chicken thighs and toss with marinade.
- Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes - 2 hours. The longer the better for more flavor.
- Grill for 10 minutes per side or until the internal temperature reaches 165 and the juices run clear.