Citrus Salad with Burrata and Marinated Shallot Vinaigrette is the salad I’m planning to make all spring and summer long!
This past weekend brought with it perfect mild spring weather. We grilled outside and made a huge salad of winter citrus topped with fresh chunks of burrata cheese, pistachios and a quick marinated shallot vinaigrette. It was almost as beautiful as it was delicious, and that’s saying something!
Start by marinating your shallot for as much time as you can in the citrus vinaigrette. The more time you have the better but at least while you prep the citrus. You’ll need a sharp knife and a little bit of time to prep cut up the fruit but the results are well worth your efforts.
Over a bed of arugula layer blood orange, cara cara orange, pink grapefruit, naval oranges and thinly sliced kumquats. Fresh avocado slices and large chunks of cream-filled burrata cheese give this salad a rich decadence that cuts through and balances all of the tangy citrus.
Micro greens add a peppery bite and salty roasted pistachios are a welcome crunch. Finish it off with marinated shallots and a drizzle of citrus vinaigrette just before serving.
I guarantee, this will be your new favorite spring salad!
- 1 bag baby arugula
- 1 pink grapefruit, cut into segments (or supremes)
- 2 cara cara oranges, peeled and sliced
- 2 blood oranges, peeled and sliced
- 1 naval orange, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 pint kumquats, thinly sliced
- micro greens
- 2 avocados
- Burrata Cheese
- roasted pistachios
- 1 small shallot, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- kosher sea salt and fresh ground pepper
- Start by making the vinaigrette so that the shallots have time to marinate before you serve the salad. In a glass measuring cup combine the white wine vinegar, orange juice and olive oil. Whisk to combine and season to taste with salt and pepper. Add in the thinly sliced shallots and set aside.
- Begin prepping all of the citrus. Using a sharp knife, cut off both ends of the citrus for stability. Following along the white pith, cut away the peel in long strips until you have just the fruit remaining. Slice into thin rounds. Thinly slice kumquats.
- Wash and dry arugula and micro greens and set aside.
- On a large platter arrange arugula as your salad base. I ended up using a little less than a whole bag due to the size of my platter.
- Arrange citrus, sliced avocado, micro greens, shallots, chunks of burrata (torn by hand), roasted pistachios and marinated shallots (removed from vinaigrette.)
- If you are not planning to serve this salad right away, squeeze citrus juice on the avocado to keep it from browning. Just before serving drizzle on a bit of vinaigrette and season with fresh ground pepper and a sprinkle of kosher sea salt.
- Serve and enjoy!