Frosted Gingerbread Cookies
I have a Christmas confession to make. Last weekend I was very naughty and ate three, yes three, of these Santa-Size Frosted Gingerbread Cookies and completely ruined my dinner.
One hadn't even been frosted yet! Three cookies doesn't sound like a lot to you eh? Well when the cookies are basically the size of a baby's face, it's pretty bad. I sure hope Santa wasn't watching!
The Best Chewy Gingerbread Cookie
Just one bite and you will see why this is my naughty-little-secret. My newest favorite cookie. My ultimate weakness! It's spicy and sweet with plenty of good old fashioned gingerbread flavor while remaining super moist and chewy.
Creamy vanilla icing finishes off these cookies like the perfect frosting on a cake. The balance of creamy sweetness mixed with spicy-chew. Oh, how I adore this cookie!
Frosted Gingerbread Cookies
After the gingerbread cookies have completely cooled (if you can wait that long), frost with a big dollop of icing or drizzle it on and allow to dry completely.
Don't worry, no one will notice if you sneak one for taste testing, just don't eat three...trust me on this one! In fact, you may want to make a double batch as these cookies don't last long despite their enormous size.
Whether left out for Santa with a big glass of milk, boxed up and given as gifts, or devoured in the privacy of your own kitchen, all will delight in these perfect Christmas cookies! Just don't say I didn't warn you about their naughty powers.
More Christmas Cookies to Love:
- Double Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
- The Best Chewy Ginger Cookies
- Peppermint Sugar Cookies
- Salted Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Hot Chocolate Marshmallow Cookies
- Classic Frosted Cutout Sugar Cookies
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 ½ teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Dash ground cloves
- ¾ cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup mild-flavor molasses
- 1 egg
- Powdered Sugar Icing (recipe follows)
- In a medium bowl stir together flour, ginger, baking soda,
cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, and cloves; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on
medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add brown sugar and molasses. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in egg until combined. Gradually beat in flour mixture until combined. Cover and chill dough about 1
hour or until easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line two cookie sheets with
parchment paper. Roll ⅓-cup portions of dough into balls. Place four or five balls 4 inches apart on each cookie sheet. Flatten balls slightly.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until edges of cookies are set.
Do not overbake. Cool on cookie sheets for 10 minutes. Transfer cookies to a wire rack and cool completely. Spread cookies with Powdered Sugar Icing. Let stand until icing is set.
- Powdered Sugar Icing: In a small bowl stir together 2 cups powdered sugar, 4 teaspoon milk and ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract. If necessary, stir in additional milk, 1 teaspoon at a time to reach a thick but spreadable consistency.
This makes 9 extra large sized cookies! You could always
make smaller cookies if desired however the baking time may need to be reduced slightly.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 9 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 474Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 61mgSodium: 549mgCarbohydrates: 77gFiber: 1gSugar: 49gProtein: 5g