When the weather cools down I make this Turkey and Black Bean Chili almost once a week! It’s one of those recipes that’s fast, easy, and always delicious…
On Sundays I sit down with my recipe box, magazines, and note pad and try to plan out dinners for the week. Honestly, it’s a good week if I can make three weeknight dinners at home and now that the twins are here it’s even more challenging! So, having go-to recipes like this one that call for all ingredients I keep in my pantry and fridge (or freezer) are like gold.
Making this chili is simple: saute ground turkey, onions and spices before adding in canned black beans, tomatoes, tomato sauce, green chilies and chicken stock. Bam! The easiest weeknight chili ever.
I love to serve this chili poured over a big slice of corn bread. The way the sweet corn bread soaks up the spicy chili is totally delicious. Jason and I usually top our chili with grated cheddar cheese, sour cream and fresh cilantro…ok, are you hungry yet? Enjoy!
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or more to taste
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 3 8 oz cans tomato sauce
- 2 15 oz cans black beans, drained
- 1 14.5 oz can petite diced tomatoes, un-drained
- 1 13.75 oz can chicken broth
- 2 4 oz cans green chilies, un-drained
- Coat a large dutch oven or pot with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and place over medium-high heat. Add turkey and onion and cook until turkey is browned, breaking up with a wooden spoon to crumble.
- Add chili powder and cumin and cook stirring for about 1 minute.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and serve.