The fourth of July wouldn’t be complete without a good ol’ fashioned tater-salad. This version of warm potato salad with a tangy mustard vinaigrette, cornichons and capers is by far my favorite. No mayonnaise dressing here, just tangy and bright bursts of flavor.
The Best Potato Salad Recipe
This recipe calls for both red and yellow potatoes and I love the variety of colors in this dish. Far from your average creamy white, blah, bowl of potato salad. The skins add so much texture and flavor and because we are using baby potatoes they are tender and creamy.
Potato Salad Without Mayonnaise
While the taters are still warm, pour all of that delicious mustard vinaigrette over-top so that they can soak up all of the delicious flavors. With a classic potato salad, you would let the potatoes cool and toss them with mayonnaise and other seasoning. Personally I think this mayo-free version is even better and also stays fresh longer at barbecues as it doesn’t require refrigeration.
Potato Salad with Pickles
Next comes the cornichons (or baby pickles), capers, red onion and parsley. Chop it all up and toss it in. Little salty bites of caper and vinegary cornichon baby pickles give this salad a French flair. Plus the grainy mustard gives a nice little pop of spicy flavor…can you tell how much I love this salad?! It really is the perfect 4th of July side to serve along with all of your favorite barbecue. Yum, is it dinner time yet?
What to Serve with Warm Potato Salad
- Classic Chicken and Sausage Gumbo
- Shrimp and Watermelon Salad
- Tornado Dogs
- Red, White and Blue Caprese Salad
- Easiest Ever Ribs
- Barbecue Chicken Sliders
- Watermelon Salad with Cotija
If you make this potato salad for your next barbecue or celebration, I would love to hear how you like it! Please take a minute to leave a comment and rating in the box below and as alway, share on Instagram @freutcake so that I can see your dish.
- 2 pounds small red and Yukon gold potatoes, halved (quartered if large)
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small red onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice (about 1/3 cup)
- 5 cornichons, rinsed and sliced into thin rounds (about 1/4 cup)
- 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed and coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Cover potatoes with water in a medium saucepan. Add 2 tablespoons salt. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer until tender, 7 to 9 minutes. Drain potatoes, reserving 1 tablespoon cooking water. Let potatoes cool slightly.
- Make the vinaigrette: Whisk together vinegar, mustard, and reserved cooking water in a small bowl. Gradually add oil, whisking until emulsified.
- Transfer potatoes to a medium bowl, and drizzle with vinaigrette. Add onion, cornichons, capers, parsley, remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and the pepper. Using a large spatula, gently stir to combine.
- Serve warm or at room temperature and enjoy!
This potato salad is great for barbecues and potlucks because there is no refrigeration required.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 188Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 695mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 2g