“I’m starving.” “Me too.” I reply and look at my cell phone. It’s 10:00 at night. We had ranch chicken for dinner and between feeding the twins, cleaning up the war zone around their high chairs, and quickly whisking them away for their bath, I’m pretty sure I got about three bites of food into my mouth. So Jason wanders off to make us a snack…
I have to say, sometimes his late night snacks surprise me. I was fully expecting something like his “classic” tortilla with cream cheese and chocolate chips…blech! Can I just say for the record that I am not a fan of sweet things rolled in a tortilla? No, no, no thank you! But as much as I was dreading his mad scientist kitchen concoction, it turned out to be nothing more than leftover ranch chicken chopped and made into tacos. DELICIOUS tacos that is! We devoured them standing right there at the kitchen counter and then looked around for more. I was definitely making these again but more intentionally next time.
In a crockpot combine chicken, stock, ranch dressing mix (yes, the powdered stuff-I feel your judgment) and a couple of seasonings. Set the crockpot to low for 5 hours, which is just enough time for the chicken to easily shred, and you will have flavorful chicken taco meat ready to serve. Chop up the toppings and char up a dozen flour tortillas and dinner is ready. I knew our late night snacking would eventually amount to something!
I interrupt this taco post to share a photo of my photography “assistant” Millie, who happens to be obsessed with my ladder and with cheese…she could take or leave the tacos. More for me!
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 package (powdered) ranch dressing mix
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- flour tortillas
- diced plum tomato
- sour cream
- salsa verde
- lime wedges, for serving
- In a crockpot set to low, combine chicken, chicken stock, ranch mix, cumin and chili powder. Set crockpot to low and cook for 5 hours or until chicken is tender and easily shredded with a fork.
- Remove chicken breasts to a plate and shred with two forks. Return the shredded chicken to the broth to stay warm while you prep the taco fixings.
- Toast flour tortillas over a flame to char slightly.
- Assemble tacos by filling tortillas with shredded chicken. Top with salsa verde, sour cream, diced tomato and chopped cilantro. Serve with limes.