Our backyard is, well, how should I say this…it has potential. Isn’t that the nice way of saying that something is basically a disaster but if you put in some serious work it could be really cool? Well, that sums up our backyard. LOTS of potential. Now that we have twins, my manicured garden dreams have sort of shifted to more fun and whimsical garden spaces. Of course my raised vegetable beds won’t be going anywhere and Jason is dead set on a fire pit (oy vey) but there is plenty of room for all of that and some seriously cool kidspace. Of course, we will probably be starting off with a baby pool and tree swing, but here are just a few bits of inspiration I’m loving for the future.
1/ Teepee: What child wouldn’t absolutely love to have a teepee in their backyard? It’s pretty much the modern day fort and way cooler than the old chairs and sheet business my sister and I used to use. I’m pretty sure reading books all day in a garden teepee is the stuff of magical daydreams. (photo source)
2/ Heart Walkway: Stepping stones in the shape of hearts…leading to the teepee of course! I mean, how adorable is this? Who wants to pour concrete this weekend? (photo source)
3/ Chalkboard Fence: Why have a boring old fence or wall when you can have this chalkboard wall? Of course I would stock up on colorful chalk for the kiddos. Gosh I love sidewalk chalk. (photo source)
4/ Colorful Flowering Cans: The perfect colorful backdrop to a child’s outdoor play area and if they are old enough, a good way to get them involved in watering and taking care of plants! (photo source)
5/ The Ultimate Clubhouse: Um, can I move in? This clubhouse is too much. I mean, it even has a little picnic table out front for serving friends homemade mudpies and discussing clubhouse rules. Nifty teal slide for quick escape out the back? Genius. (photo source)
Memorial Day weekend is almost here which means barbecues, beach days, and the unofficial start of summer! Yipee, hooray, can you smell the coconut suntan lotion already? Ok, to be honest, I’m not at all prepared for bathing suit season…but I do have a killer recipe for Barbecue Pulled Chicken Sliders with a Mango-Jicama Slaw that will make you do a happy dance and forget all about bikinis and such nonsense! Who’s interested?
Perfect for this long holiday weekend and good and messy like a proper barbecue slider should be. Which is why I’m partnering once again with Persil® ProClean™ detergent. It’s pretty much an unspoken law that barbecue sauce should be messy, and you need a good detergent to get that sticky out, am I right?
Remember THESE bright blue cocktails I made? Ya, Persil® ProClean™ got out every one of those stains after I photographed them for the blog, I’ve been a fan ever since. Which is why Persil® ProClean™ is one of my many summer essentials; right along with popsicle molds, my favorite ice cream maker, a magically flattering one-piece swimsuit that I can run around after the twins in and still look decent…they make those, right? Hey, I’m nothing if not practical about my essentials.
I guess I’ll get on the whole swim suit shopping mission after Memorial Day. That is, right after I enjoy these barbecue chicken sliders with extra, extra slaw. Ooh the slaw! I threw in some sweet mango, crunchy jicama, and lots of cilantro to jazz it up. I like jazzy sandwiches, especially on long holiday weekends and especially when I can wear some large mumu-like contraption and eat 4 or 5 of these babies. Trust me, you will do the same! They are just that good.
Happy long holiday weekend my friends! Go try this slider recipe and let me know what you think. Oh, and pick up Persil® ProClean™ before you do, it’s now available at select Target stores (yay) and online so it’s even easier to find. Happy weekending!
- 1 whole Cut Up Fryer Chicken
- Salt And Pepper, to taste
- 2 Tablespoons Canola Oil
- 1 bottle Barbecue Sauce
- 1 whole Onion, Sliced
- 8 whole Cloves Garlic
- 18 mini hamburger buns
- 10 oz bag shredded cabbage
- 1 1/2 cups shredded carrot
- 1 small jicama shredded
- 1 mango shredded
- 1/2 cup Whole Milk
- 1/2 cup Mayonnaise
- 1 Tablespoon White Vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 1 bunch Cilantro, Roughly Chopped
- Combine shredded cabbage, carrot, jicama and mango in a bowl. *You can easily shred all of the ingredients in a food processor fitted with the shredding plate.
- In a separate bowl mix milk, mayonnaise, vinegar, salt, and cayenne. Pour over cabbage mix. Toss to combine. Cover and refrigerate two hours.
- Before serving, toss in cilantro leaves.
- Heat canola oil in a heavy pot over medium high heat. Season chicken, then sear on all sides until skin is golden brown and some fat is rendered. Remove chicken from pot and pour off excess grease.
- Add sliced onions and whole garlic cloves to pot and stir around to cook for 2 minutes. Pour in barbecue sauce, add chicken to the sauce, and place lid on the pot.
- Place in a 300 degree oven for 1 1/2 hours, or until chicken is falling off the bone.
- Remove the whole garlic cloves from the pot and set it aside. Remove chicken from pot and allow to cool enough to handle. Using hands or two forks, remove the meat from the bones. Finely shred the chicken using your hands or two forks.
- Carefully skim off the excess fat that has risen on top of the sauce. Return shredded chicken to the pot and stir into the sauce. Reheat so that it's warm.
- To serve, place a good amount of chicken on the bottom half of the rolls, then a good helping of slaw. Top with the other half of the bun!
photos by Leah Bergman
Persil® however all the opinions expressed here are my own. Thank you for supporting the sponsors who support Freutcake! Persil® ProClean™ is now available at select Target stores nationwide and online.